Monday, March 5, 2018

Cha-cha-cha-changes!

Here's another project that has a bit of a turn from my original plans.  I knew I wanted a fitted shirt/blouse in my SWAP, but I just couldn't find the fabric I wanted to use.  Instead of stressing about it (because really, I sew to try to reduce stress, not create it!), I went on a stash-dive and found some beautiful cupro fabric I had purchased WAY back when Timmel Fabrics was still in business (boy, do I miss Julie and her beautiful fabrics!).  Cupro is super soft.  A quick Google search shows cupro is a cellulose fabric, similar to tencel or modal, and feels very soft like rayon or silk, and is similarly drapy.  My fabric looks like a jacquard or cross woven fabric, with beige and black and has a raised pattern to it.  It has a slight sheen to it, not super shiny but you can see from the photograph that it does have a bit of a "glow."


I chose Butterick 5678 for the pattern.  I've used it before (in a different size than I am currently), and it comes with different cup sizing, which is a huge win in my books.  This semi-fitted shirt has a collar and collar band, with princess seams, and sleeves with cuffs.

Image result for butterick 5678
I couldn't find this when I did a search on the Butterick website, so maybe it's out of print?  That's too bad, because it's a great pattern.



Details like the collar, collarband, front placket, sleeve vent and cuffs take a bit of time to do, but add such a nice touch.  Originally, I didn't add the stitching line to the button placket, as I was hoping to keep it simple with the busy-ness of the fabric, but ended up going back to add them because the buttonholes just looked...weird, in my mind, like they were too close to the edge.  I also didn't use the bust pockets because I wanted to keep the fabric as the focus. 


I've made this pattern before, but have had to size up, so it was like I started fresh.  I did a 3/4" sway back adjustment and added 1" to the length of the sleeves.  I also used the size 16 D cup.


The final result fits very nicely with my other SWAP garments.  It wasn't what I had originally planned, but I absolutely love the finished item.  It also uses up some really deep stash yardage, which is a big win in my books!




No comments:

Post a Comment