Tuesday, October 29, 2013

FO and Pattern Review McCalls 6513 View B

I've gotten a bit of sewing done this month - I have another garment to show you.  The biggest obstacle in getting to the sewing machine this week was a BAD cold that kept me chained to the couch for three days.  But, I'm recovering and jonesing for time at the machine.  I did manage to complete this before I got sick...

FO and Pattern Review - McCalls 6513

M6513
Photo credits: http://mccallpattern.mccall.com

Pattern Description: From the McCall's website:  MISSES' TOPS: Close-fitting, pullover tops have gathered front and narrow hem. B,C sleeves and C,D back collar: elasticized. Designed for lightweight to medium weight moderate stretch knits.  I made view B with long sleeves, without the shirring at the wrist.  I previously made view D as seen here.

Pattern Sizing:  6-14; 14-22  I made my standard size 14, with a faux FBA (bumping out the seams a little at the bust)


McCalls 6513 - Front
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  I certainly think so.

Were the instructions easy to follow?  Yes - these are "special" Palmer/Pletsch instructions which include very detailed instructions.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  I love the wrap top, and the shirring hides the extra fluff I carry around my tummy.

McCalls 6513 - side view
Fabric Used: a knit of unknown materials, though I'm certain there's a lot of polyester in it.  It's kind of silky but has a good "heft" to the weight.  Purchased at Fabricland Summer 2013.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  I lengthened the sleeves by 1-1/2" for my long arms, as well as added a bit of extra to the bust area princess seams when cutting out.  I shortened the bottom hem by 2".  I added a centre back seam, and did a 3/4" sway back adjustment.  I also added topstitching (just a standard zig-zag stitch of 3.5 x 3.5) to all the seams for interest.

McCalls 6513 - Back
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  I will be sewing this again.  It has become a TNT pattern for me.  I love wrap tops and the way this one is drafted certainly cuts down on the potential for  "wardrobe malfunction" or a Janet Jackson experience.

Conclusion:  I highly recommend this top pattern, and will certainly be sewing it again.  I might even try it in a solid colour next go 'round. ;)


1 comment:

  1. I love wrap blouses, this seems like a winner, it can also be made as a dress with minor hassle, thanks for posting!!!!

    ReplyDelete