Monday, October 21, 2013

Finally! A FO - Vogue 1291

Finally!!!  It is finished!  Let me just clarify - it didn't take much sewing time, just took time for me to *get* to the sewing machine!!

V1291 Today's Fit by Sandra Betzina - Front 

Pattern Description: From the Vogue Website:  MISSES' TOP: Loose-fitting, pullover top has bias neck band, front sleeve overlapping back sleeve forming shoulder opening, no shoulder seams and narrow hems.

Pattern Sizing: A-J (32" - 55" bust)  I made size D (38" bust)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Yes, I believe it does, if I do say so myself.

Line Art
V1291 Today's Fit by Sandra Betzina - www.voguepatterns.com

Were the instructions easy to follow?   Yes - Sandra takes great care to detail the pattern directions very clearly.  She also offers video instruction at her website - www.powersewing.com.  You have to purchase a membership to view the video (either a one use fee or an annual membership), but I highly recommend it.  She has over 125 videos/classes to watch!

The sleeve treatment is a bit tricky to put together - it's not your average sleeve!  The video walks you through it, but so do the pattern instructions.

V1291 Today's Fit by Sandra Betzina - Sleeve

I also found the neckband a bit piddly with my knit curling a bit while I was trying to sew it on, but I like the finished look of the narrow band.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  I love how unique this top is.  I have worn it already, and my version is a great backdrop for a spectacular necklace.  It is also very comfortable.  One thing to note - I talk a lot with my hands (waving them around) and I would highly recommend wearing a tank top/camisole underneath to prevent from showing the world your undergarments through the wide sleeve openings.

Fabric Used: a white very lightweight jersey knit with sheer burnout sections (unfortunately I don't know the fabric composition) Purchased during Summer 2013 at Fabricland (our local chain fabric store here in Ontario)

V1291 Today's Fit by Sandra Betzina - Side view 


Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: None - I made this as is out of the envelope.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  Yes, I will likely sew it again.  On her video, Sandra shows a few adaptations of this top.  Despite it looking like it would be very distinctive due to the sleeve treatment, you can make it look very different depending on your fabric choice.  I'm thinking of one in plain black lightweight jersey for a top that could very easily be worn for either day or evening, depending on your jewelry choices, and what you chose to wear with it (i.e. black velveteen jeans, black stretch pencil skirt, dress pants or jeans).

Conclusion:  A great top that is very comfortable to wear, and that would suit a variety of occasions.

V1291 Today's Fit by Sandra Betzina - Back 

No comments:

Post a Comment