Monday, September 16, 2013

Barely Living on the Wild Side!

Those who know me, know I love sparkly and shiny things and especially love animal prints.  This review features a restrained animal print, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the finished object.

Pattern Review:  McCalls 6513

Photo credit:  Mccallpattern.mccall.com

Pattern Description: According to McCall's website: MISSES' TOPS: Close-fitting, pullover tops have gathered front and narrow hem. B,C sleeves and C,D back collar: elasticized.Designed for lightweight to medium weight moderate stretch knits.

This is a Palmer/Pletsch pattern, which includes a special section in the instructions for fitting.  The pattern pieces also have details on it for the various fitting lines (i.e. the full bust adjustment is already marked for you to use without having to draft it yourself.)

I made view C.

Line Art
Photo credit:  Mccallpattern.mccall.com

Pattern Sizing:  6-14, 14-22

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Yes.  It certainly does.





Were the instructions easy to follow?  The instructions were very detailed.  I quickly reviewed the fitting instructions, but didn't really use them.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  I love the fit of this pattern.  I also really liked the detailed fitting instructions and the adjustment lines on the pattern pieces.  I also like that I can wear this wrap top without a camisole underneath.  I have already worn this top to work and there was no need for adjustment at the bust area due to "wardrobe malfunction." 

The shirring at the sleeves is a pretty, feminine detail.



Fabric Used:  I used a lightweight jersey of unknown content (likely a rayon/poly blend) that is currently available at Fabricland (Fall 2013).  The zebra stripes are almost sheer.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  I made a full bust adjustment to accommodate my D cup bust.  I also did a sway back adjustment of about 1" at the waistline of the centre back.



Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I will be making this top again.  The wrap is very flattering to my figure type, and it feels SO cozy to me.  I already have a fabric picked out. 

Conclusion:  This is a GREAT wrap top pattern.  It is very flattering and there is no need for any type of adjusting during the day, and you don't have to wear a camisole underneath as required by so many wrap tops.  

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I just discovered your blog and find it to be very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Glad you're enjoying it. I just scoped out a few of your pattern reviews - amazing work!

      Delete